A common notion among most B2B marketers is that a B2C purchase decision is more emotional, while a B2B purchase decision is logical. Hence, for B2B marketing, all you need to worry about is building your email list and nurturing contacts.
However, what lies behind that logical purchase decision? The answer is a 7-letter magical word called emotion. Preposterous, you say? Not quite. Yes, B2B communications are between organizations. However, ever wondered who is calling the shots, authorizing all the decisions being made? It’s people, like you and me. What do you and I look for when we need something? The best fit out there to solve our problems and satisfy our needs. The people representing organizations and making the best possible decisions for their businesses are also looking for a service that meets their business requirements – their wants and needs. Naturally, a solution that engages them effectively, that communicates with them at a personal level in an appealing manner, will definitely grab their attention. (Works for you and me, doesn’t it?)
How does that happen? When your communication takes into account factors such as buyer’s interests, preferences, buying behavior and addresses their pain points.
Emotional engagement not only drives conversions but also leads to customer loyalty.
How do you drive emotional engagement – is the billion dollar question. You’ll have to wait to find that out. But first, here’s a few herculean tasks that poor B2B marketers are saddled with nowadays.
What are the Goals of B2B Marketing?
The marketing efforts of B2B organizations revolve around the following core elements:
That’s asking for a lot, isn’t it? Bear in mind that of all these elements, customer engagement is the key and could make or break you. In fact, your entire marketing effort hinges on driving engagement.
Let’s now get back to our million dollar question – how to drive emotional engagement. The answer lies with an ancient marketing tool that has stood the test of times.
The 40-Year Old Answer to Driving Emotional Engagement in B2B Marketing
Email marketing, although ancient, is nevertheless the most widely used marketing channel in the planet.
Through an inexpensive, versatile marketing technique like email marketing, you can –
- Build brand awareness through promotional emails
- Nurture leads through email marketing campaigns
- Engage emotionally at a personal level through e-newsletters and educational emails
- Stay connected with your customers and build a long-term relationship with them through various promotional emails
- Quadruple your sales and send your marketing ROI skyrocketing
Couple of Things Every B2B Marketer Must Understand About Email Marketing
According to Sikich LLP, emails can be 20x more effective than other marketing outlets. But there’s a catch to it. Emails are amazingly effective only if they get opened. Would you open an email that is plain, ordinary, and unappealing? No, you’ll delete it without even reading it. This is what your readers are going to do unless your email resonates with their needs. Such emails are called personalized emails. These emails, although professional, have a human element and address the wants and needs of the buyers.
And it all starts with the subject line and the pre-header text. If these two elements of your email don’t excite your reader, then trust me, your email is going straight to Trash.
Take a look at this email I received from Lander –
For more advice on perfecting your email subject line, take a look at this article.
Next thing to focus is the content of the e-mail. Think of your subject line as your bait. Your reader has taken the bait. Next thing to do is to reel them in, keep them interested, spark their curiosity, excite them with some mind-blowing content.
This warrants for a personal touch to your emails. Few things that help here include addressing your reader by their first name, keeping your content no-nonsense, and including a clear Call-To-Action towards the end. The Call-To-Action is how you stay engaged with your readers.
A key aspect that you need to focus on is the layout of your email. This is because the layout is what sets you apart from the crowd. You can select an amazing email template with a spectacular color scheme and sensational images. But if your readers aren’t able to see all these glorious features of your email, then your email marketing campaign is heading towards a catastrophe. So, make sure that you don’t go overboard with your design efforts.
Take a look at the contents of the Welcome email I received from Lander. The design is simple, yet eye-catching. The content is no-nonsense with a clear Call-To-Action. To top it all, the email also contains a personal element to it. All signs of email designing done right!
How to Do Email Marketing the Right Way?
Now that we’ve established email marketing isn’t a dinosaur but a seasoned warhorse to have in your marketing arsenal, let’s see what makes email marketing effective:
- Determine your marketing objective
- Identify your business requirements
- Develop an email list, segment it and steadily keep building it
- Choose an Email Service Provider (ESP) that suits your needs
- Develop an email marketing strategy for your email marketing campaigns
- Improve your emails (subject line, template, content, timing) based on the results of your campaigns through performance metrics such as open rates, clickthrough rates, conversion rates, bounce rates, unsubscribe rates and ROI.
Tip: Subject line is the deal breaker – if that’s not fascinating enough, off goes your email straight to Trash!
A Foolproof Way for Choosing the Right ESP for Your Email Marketing Needs
So you’ve decided to get help from professionals for your email marketing campaign. Smart move. However, before opting for an ESP, go through this checklist:
- Check for round-the-clock live support in a language that you are comfortable with
- Carefully go through the email provider’s spam, virus, and security policies
- Check contract terms, pricing, cancelation policies
- Find out whether the ESP provides the RSS-to-emails feature
- Take a look at the templates they offer – these should be simple yet attractive and highly customizable
- Find out whether they provide all the performance metrics that you need – all at one place
Found an ESP you like? Wonderful! Next step is to ask away all the questions you might have, regarding their product and services. Essential questions to ask (but not limited to this list) include the following:
- What value will this solution bring to your business?
- How will this technology help you reach your marketing and sales goals?
- Who uses this software? What are the primary roles of its typical users, within an organization?
- Can the ESP provide a walkthrough of their training and support resources?
Mailee.me – Your One-Stop Solution for Driving Engagement and B2B Marketing ROI
Saw the ESP checklist I’ve provided above? Mailee.me is an email marketing solution that takes care of all those elements. Here’s why –
- Excellent round-the-clock customer service
- Rigid spam and security policies
Customer service is excellent, every time we needed support the response was almost immediate. Plus, the concern this company has with avoiding SPAM gives us and our clients confidence.
Rafael Siqueira, Instituto Florescer
- Affordable pay-as-you-go pricing with no recurring fees. You can sign up for free and send emails worth 250 credits.
- Build email lists and segment contacts based on engagement easily
- Test your subject lines for effectiveness using Mailee.me’s free headline testing tool
- Great reporting feature measuring performance metrics such as delivery statistics, real-time open rates, unsubscribes, etc. all in one place.
“We have been using Mailee.me at Wareline for over 3 years, for sending newsletters to our customers, prospects and company’s employees. What I like the most are the reports that the system makes available after each sending. This tool is excellent and also features a great service.” –
Mariana Spíndola, Wareline
- Both B2B and B2C companies requiring a simple and inexpensive tool for their email marketing campaigns use Mailee.me. In fact, one of our oldest customers is Aprimorar, a B2B company offering solutions in website design, hosting, content development, e-commerce, etc. Here’s what they have to say about Mailee.me –
“Mailee has been crucial here at Aprimorar. Besides being so easy to use, its effectiveness in deliveries, as well as the reports, have contributed with our marketing actions, whether when sending our own newsletters or our clients.” –
Petherson Lacerda, Aprimorar
So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and check out this amazing email marketing tool.